Bar Isabel has been on our to-do list for a while, but it’s now on everybody’s radar (especially after being named by Air Canada’s enRoute magazine as the No. 1 Best New Restaurant in 2013), so getting reservations hasn’t been easy. Matt called over a month in advance to get us in!
The restaurant definitely lived up to expectations, both in terms of food and service. And while they have a decent-sized space, they haven’t crammed it full of tables, so everyone is nicely spread out. For the amount we ordered, it also wasn’t that pricey—between 4 people, we had 7 beers, 11 small plates, 1 main, and 2 desserts, and it only cost us $75 each including tax and tip!
What We Ate
Everything was really good, but my faves are the ones in bold purple below. I would go back JUST for the basque cake alone. The right amount of crispy on the outside and perfectly soft on the inside. A must try!
- Marinated Sardine Montaditos
- Grilled Mushroom Montaditos, Chicken Liver Mousse, Jamón Ibérico, Wild Onion
- Chips, Boquerones, Piquillo, Jalapeno
- Coca Flatbread, Caramelized Onions, Torta Del Casar, Rosemary
- Roast Bone Marrow
- Morcilla Scotch Egg, Hollandaise, Blonde Frisee
- Patatas Bravas
- Albacore Tuna Tiradito, Asian Pear, Celery, Jalapeno & Fried Rosemary
- Wild Leeks, Ham. Smoked Egg, Torta Del Casar Sauce
- Chorizo Verde with Marinated Escarole
- Spicy Fried Squid, Crispy Tongue, Kale
- 1/2 Grilled Octopus
- Basque Cake and Sherry Cream
Overall, a great meal, and definitely worth the wait!