Mattster Chef is back on the blog! Tonight, Matt will be writing about one of our easy weeknight meals.
It’s been awhile since I’ve written anything for Our Happy Jar, and April wanted me to post this recipe because it’s one of our favourite cold noodle dishes and also super easy to make.
Spicy Peanut Chicken and Cucumber Cold Noodles
Ingredients (Makes 4 servings)
- 1 package of spaghetti or noodles
- 2 pieces of chicken breast (cut into small pieces)
- 1 English cucumber (julienned)
- 4 tablespoons of natural peanut butter (crunchy)
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce + ½ tablespoon to marinate chicken
- ½ tablespoon of dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil (split into halves)
- Chili oil to taste
- Water (varies)
- The first thing to do is cut up your chicken into small pieces. I try to cut mine into long, narrow pieces to give it a shredded chicken feel.
- Once your chicken has been cut up, marinate it with the minced garlic, ½ tablespoon of soy sauce, and ½ of the sesame oil, and mix it up. Once mixed, let the chicken marinate for as long or as little as you would like. Obvious rules apply: the longer you marinate, the more taste the chicken will have.
- While the chicken is marinating, start to julienne the cucumber and make the peanut sauce.
- For the peanut sauce: in a large bowl, add the peanut butter, 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, ½ tablespoon of dark soy sauce, ½ sesame oil, and chili oil. Once all the ingredients are added, stir them together. The mixture will be thick, which is where the water comes in; slowly add water little-by-little and stir it into the peanut sauce. This will gradually reduce its thickness, and you can stop adding water when it has enough of a saucy consistency (basically, you need it to be able to easily coat your noodles).
- When the chicken is done marinating, boil the water for the pasta and heat a pan for the chicken. The chicken can be cooked and set aside while you’re making the pasta. Once the pasta is done, run it under cold water to cool (if you have time, you can also let it cool naturally).
- After the pasta is cooled, get a large mixing bowl, and throw the pasta, cucumbers, and chicken together. Pour the peanut sauce over everything and toss thoroughly so everything is mixed well.
And then you’re done! This is a quick and easy meal that practically anyone can to make during the week, which is a requirement for us because we both work all day.